- 225g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 5 ½ cups (650g) icing sugar
- 1-2 Tbspn whole milk
- ½ vanilla bean, seeds scraped out and/or 1 tspn vanilla essence
- 1 tspn lemon juice and lemon zest
- 2 Tbspn blackcurrant cordial or berry juice
- 2 tspn sifted good quality cocoa.
- Beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Add icing sugar, ½ cup at a time, beating between additions.
- Beat in milk, adding a little extra if necessary until a pipeable consistency is achieved.
- Beat in any flavourings or colourings of your choice – Note : if adding a lot of liquid flavouring or colouring you may need to reduce the milk
- 30g unsalted butter
- 3 Tbspn whole milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup icing sugar
- ½ tspn vanilla essence
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter – mix in milk and brown sugar. Boil vigorously for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat – beat in 1/2 the icing sugar. Cool slightly, and beat in the vanilla and remaining sugar. Add more milk if the mixture is too thick.
Note – will set quite quickly (5 – 10 minutes)