Meat and Marinade
- 600 – 800g chicken thigh fillets, skinless and boneless (or chicken breast or pork or beef or any seafood)
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 Tbspn lime juice
- 2 Tbspn fish sauce
- 1 Tbspn soy sauce
- 2 Tbspn brown sugar
- 1 Tbspn vegetable oil
- 2 stalk lemongrass, white part only, bruised then sliced (pieces large enough to remove later)
- 50 ml fish sauce
- 2 Tbspn rice vinegar
- 1 Tbspn sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbspn lime juice
- 1/2 Tbspn oil
- 200g dry vermicelli noodles
- 2 carrots, julienned or grated
- 1 cucumber, julienned or grated
- 1 iceberg lettuce, finely sliced
- 2 handfuls bean sprouts
- 1 handful of mint leaves
- 1 handful of cilantro leaves
- Sliced red or green chilli (for garnish – optional)
- Lime wedges (to serve – optional)
- Combine Meat and Marinade stuff – marinate for at least 2 hour / up to 24 hours.
- Combine the Nuoc Cham stuff and mix well to dissolve the sugar. Adjust to your taste (spiciness, lime, sweetness) and set aside.
- Soak the vermicelli noodles in hot water for 3 minutes (or according to packet instructions), then drain and rinse under cold water to stop the noodles from sticking together.
- Heat 1/2 Tbspn oil in a fry pan over medium heat. Remove chicken from marinade, shaking off large bits of lemongrass (small bits should fall off during cooking).
- Place chicken in the pan and cook each side until dark golden brown and chicken is just cooked through – about 6 to 8 minutes in total. Remove from pan, shaking off any remaining bits of visible lemongrass and set aside to rest for 5 minutes. Then slice into thin pieces.
lightly toss the noodles, vegetables and herbs with 3/4 of the Nuoc Cham Sauce. Serve into Bowls & top with chicken pieces. Drizzle with the remaining Nuoc Cham Sauce.
Dress with sliced chilli & lime wedges.