- 100g egg white
- 135g almond meal, sifted
- 135g castor sugar
- 135g icing sugar, sifted
- 35g water
- 5 drops food colouring
- Preheat oven to 130C
- Combine the almond meal and icing sugar in a large bowl – mix to combine. Add 50g egg whites – mix until well combined.
- Place the remaining 50g egg white into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment – begin whisking egg whites on low speed.
- Combine the caster sugar and water in a small saucepan on medium heat – heat the sugar syrup until it reaches 118C.
- Once the syrup is at temperature, increase the mixer speed to high and gradually pour the sugar syrup onto the egg whites – whisk continuously.
- Continue whisking the egg whites for approximately 5 minutes or until soft glossy peaks form and meringue has cooled slightly.
- Fold the meringue into the coloured almond meal mixture – mix until combined (do not over mix)
- Pipe approximately 4cm circles onto lined baking tray.
- Leave the piped shells to rest at room temperature for at least 20 minutes.
- Bake macarons in the pre-heated oven for 14 -16 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly on the tray – carefully peel the shells from the baking paper