- 500g of rice noodles – boiled & drained
- 500g whole mackerel – gutted & cleaned
- 250g whole white fish (eg flounder, gurnard) – gutted & cleaned
- 125g onion – rough chopped
- 1 tspn dried chili flakes – reduce if you want less hot
- 12g shrimp paste
- 50g galangal – rough chopped
- 3 sprigs Vietnamese Mint – leaves only
- 50g Tamarind liquid
- 1 litre water – I use then water from boiling the fish (drained
- salt to taste
- 4 eggs – boiled and halved **
- 10g fresh chillies – chopped
- 2-3 sprigs parsley or Cilantro – sliced
- 1 small cucumber – fine julienne
- Boil the mackerel & white fish until cooked. Separate the flesh from the bones.
- In food processor blend together onion, galangal, dried chili & shrimp paste – Put into a large pot
- In food processor blend the fish flesh – put in the same pot.
- In food processor grind the fish bones until crushed – strain thru a sieve (use some of the 1 litre of water to get all the goodness) – put in the same pot.
- Add the remaining water to the pot – mix well
- Add Vietnamese Mint & Tamarind – season.
- Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- In a bowl
- – serving of noodles (pref chopped into short length)
- – pour over hot laksa
- – decorate with eggs, fresh chillies, parsley/cilantro & cucumber julienne
For the perfect boiled egg
- eggs in small pot
- enough cold water to cover the eggs
- lid on
- bring to boil – turn heat off immediately
- sit for 10 minutes – do not remove the lid
- remove eggs from hot water – plunge into cold water until cool