- 2 Tblsn olive oil
- 2 – 3 red or brown onions, sliced
- 2 Tblsn brown sugar
- 2 Tblsn balsamic vinegar
- Heat oil in a large frypan over low heat. Add the onions and a good pinch of salt and cook very slowly for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent them from catching. Don’t be tempted to turn the heat up – you don’t want the onions to burn.
- When onions are softened and tinged golden, add sugar and balsamic – this will start the caramelisation process.
- Cook onion over low heat for a further 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sticky and caramelised.
- Use immediately, or store in the fridge, in a sterilised jar or plastic container, and use when required.