- 1 Tbspn peanut oil
- 500 – 600 g boneless skinless chicken breast or thigh, cut in bite sized chunks
- 20 g butter or vege oil
- 4 tspn fresh ginger, grated of chopped very fine
- 2 tspn garam masala
- 2 tspn sweet paprika
- 2 tspn ground coriander
- ½ tspn chili powder (more or less to taste)
- ½ tspn cinnamon powder
- ¼ tspn cardamom powder
- 120 g tomato paste
- 300 ml vege stock (or chicken stock or water)
- 4 tspn sugar
- 1/2 to 1 cup plain yogurt
- upto ½ cup cream – optional
- 3 – 4 tspn lemon juice – to taste
- Heat oil in wok style high side fry pan. Stir-fry the chicken in batched for about 4 minutes until chicken is a nice colour. Set chicken and frying juices aside.
- Reduce heat and add butter or vege oil. Add all of the spices and stir-fry until fragrant – about 1 minute. Add the chicken frying juices to ensure kept liquid.
- Return the chicken to pan and stir to coat well with the spicy liquid.
Add the tomato paste, vege stock (or chicken stock or water) and sugar and simmer for 15 minutes – stir occasionally.
Note : Can be set aside or frozen at this point (See Note below)
Add the yogurt, cream (optional) and lemon juice and simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens a bit
- Serve over rice
- Serves 3 – 4 pax
Note : This dish can be set aside or frozen – leave the last step. To reheat, thaw then add contents to saucepan. Reheat gently, then simmer for 8 minutes – add the yoghurt, cream and lemon juice and simmer for 5 more minutes
Vegetarian – Leave out the chicken (& don’t use chicken stock). After 10 minutes (of the 15 minute sauce cooking) add 1 can of drained butter beans