- ⅓ cup Warm Water
- ½ tspn Sugar
- ½ tspn Instant Yeast
- 1 cup Gluten Free Flour (I use Orgrans) – use plain Flour (for non Gluten free)
- ⅓ tspn Salt
- 2 cups Water (for Baking Soda “bath”)
- 1 Tbspn Baking Soda
- Egg Wash (for brushing on the Pretzels)
- Rock Salt (for sprinkling on the Pretzels)
- To warm water add sugar and yeast and let it rest until mixture bubbles
- Mix together flour and salt.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour
- Knead to a smooth & elastic dough
- Place in an oiled bowl and let it rise for 1-2 hours or until the dough doubles in volume.
- Punch it down and roll it out to a log. Take a small piece of dough & roll to a thin, long rope. Make into whatever pretzel shapes you want – circles, clovers, sticks
Place all the pretzels on a baking sheet – allow to dry a bit
- Preheat oven to 180 C / 350 F.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and dissolve baking soda in it.
- Take each piece of pretzels on a slotted spoon. Gently place it into the hot water and hold till it drops into the water. Let it boil for 10-20 seconds or until it starts to float. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Place each “cooked” Pretzel back to the same baking sheet.
- Brush each pretzel with egg wash and sprinkle Rock Salt on it.
- Bake in a preheated oven 180 C until the pretzels are hard and crunchy. Check after 20 minutes
Let it cool for a bit and remove the pretzels.