- Approx 1 kg octopus
- 1 bunch of parsley
- Tops from a fennel bulb, chopped roughly
- Sprig oregano
- 3 Spring onions, chopped roughly
- 1 or 2 shallots, chopped roughly
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or fine grated
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tspn paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 tspn smoked paprika (optional)
- 1/4 tspn cayenne
- Salt and black pepper
- Lemon wedges to serve
Tenderise the Octopus.
- Pre heat oven to 110° C
- Boil the whole octopus in the water for 2 minutes – remove & cool
- Line a Dutch oven or other heavy lid pot with the parsley, fennel fronds, oregano, green onions and the bay leaves.
- Cut the head off – Cut the octopus “hips” like a star. If using the heads – clean out the heads and cut into similar size to legs
- Nestle octopus pieces into the pot of greens.
- Cover the pot and cook for 2 1/2 hours (longer if octopus is large and tough) Don’t worry about the lack of liquid in the pot – octopus will release enough to make a flavorful broth.
Grill the Octopus
- When the octopus is tender, remove from the pot and cut into serving-sized pieces.
- Coat with some of the olive oil and BBQ or grill until you get some char marks, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Toss the octopus with the rest of the olive oil, garlic, the paprika, smoked paprika and cayenne.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste and serve with lemon wedges, either at room temperature or slightly warm.
Acknowledgement : http://honest-food.net/2013/11/25/pulpo-gallego-recipe-octopus/