- 200g urad dal
- 670 g water
- 1 tspn turmeric, added to the water
- 1 tspn Kashmiri chilli powder, added to the water
- 4 green chillies, finely chopped
- ½ tspn asafoetida
- 1 Tbspn cumin powder
- 2 cm ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tspn garam masala
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 5 tomatoes (approx), chopped – or 1 can tomatoes
- 2 Tbspn tomato purée
- 1 Tbspn ghee or butter
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- Fried shallots
- Soak the lentils in water for two hours. Drain. Add the turmeric and chilli powder to the water. Put the lentils in a medium-large pot and pour over the 670ml spiced water. Simmer for 90 minute on a low heat.
- When the lentils have cooked through, remove the pan from the heat and use a whisk to gently break them down. Season to your taste. Set the mixture aside.
- In a frying pan, heat oil and add the asafoetida, cumin, green chillies, ginger & garam masala – mix well and cook for a few minutes. Add the onion – cook until well browned. Add the garlic – cooking until it just turns golden.
- In a separate pot – cook the tomatoes over a low heat in oil until soft. Blend to smooth
- Add the blended tomatoes, spicy onion and tomato purée to the lentils and stir on a low heat.
- Mix in the butter. Add salt to taste
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander, Fine sliced red chilli & Fried shallots
Stolen from Dishoom, London