- 1-1¼kg ripe tomatoes, cut into quarters & core removed
- 1 medium onion, fine diced
- 1 small carrot, fine diced
- 1 celery stick, fine diced
- 2 tbspn olive oil
- 1 tbspn tomato purée
- 1 tspn of sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1.2 litres hot vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot, add the onion, carrot & celery – cook over low heat until soft and faintly coloured (about 10 minutes) stir regularly to avoid sticking/burning,
- Add the tomato puree and stir to fully coat the veggies. Add the tomatoes, sugar, bay leaves – stir again, put on a lid and “stew” the until the tomatoes have broken down (about 10 minutes) stir regularly to avoid sticking/burning.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil – simmer for 25 minutes – stir regularly to avoid sticking/burning.
- Remove the bay leaves – Wand or blend until smooth