- 2 tblsn olive oil
- 1 large onion, fine chipped
- 1 tsn salt
- 4-5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tsn ground coriander
- 2 tsn ground cumin
- 1 – 2 tblsn harrisa – more or less according to taste
- 4 good sized vine ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cans lentils, drained & rinsed
- 2 preserved lemons, sliced thin
- 1 cup coriander leaves & stalks, fine chopped
- 2 – 3 cups water
- 6 – 8 eggs
- slices avocado – optional
- more harrisa – for serving
- more coriander leaves, course chopped – for serving
- Unsweatened yogurt – for serving
- Rock Salt and fresh ground pepper – for serving
- Heat oil in deep pan and saute onions with the salt until soft (but not brown). Add garlic and saute a few more minutes
- Add ground coriander, cumin and harrisa. Stir and fry a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes until broken down.
- Add the lentils, lemon slices and chopped coriander and stir well. Add water and bring to simmer for about 15 minutes until the lemon is soft. Add more water if it gets dry.
- Make small hollows in the lentil mix with a spoon – fill with an egg each
- Cover and simmer until eggs are cooked to your liking
- Per person – good dollop of lentils with a couple of eggs
- on the side – sliced avocado, harrisa & yogurt – Plenty of coriander sprinkled on top.
- Sprinkle generously with rock salt and pepper