- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 red Jalapeño or Serrano peppers, deseeded (See note #1 below.)
- ¼ cup white distilled vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or potato starch (See note #2 below.)
- 2 tablespoons water
- In the blender, purée together all the ingredients, except for the last two.
- Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower the heat to medium and simmer until the mixture thickens up a bit and the garlic-pepper bits begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Combine the cornstarch and water to make a slurry. Whisk in the cornstarch mixture and continue to simmer one more minute.
- about 1 cup
- The cornstarch will help the sauce to thicken slightly thereby causing nice suspension of the garlic-pepper bits; otherwise, you get a thin sauce with all the little pieces floating on the surface.