- 100 ml olive oil
- 1 red (Spanish) onion, thinly sliced
- 2 or 3 cloves garlic, fine diced or grated
- 1 large green capsicum (pepper), roughly diced
- 2 bay leaves, preferably fresh
- 3 or 4 large, waxy-skinned potatoes
- Heat 3 Tblsn of the olive oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and a pinch of salt. Cook the onion slowly, turning down the heat if necessary, for about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden and sweet in smell and taste. Now add the garlic, capsicum and bay leaves and cook for 15 more minutes to release their flavour.
- Cut the potatoes into wedges. Salt them lightly and leave for about 5 minutes. When the capsicum has softened, add the remaining oil and when the oil is hot again, add the potatoes.
- Let everything simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for another 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Drain in a colander or sieve, keeping the onion oil aside for further use if desired.
- Serve immediately
Received from Nicola – Vejer de la Frontera, España – October 2012