- 4 Tbspn olive or vege oil (2 lots of 2 spoons)
- 2-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbspn fresh ginger root, grated
- 2-3 fresh red chillies with seeds, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (approx 1 cup)
- 2 tspn ground cumin
- 1 tspn ground coriander
- 1 tspn ground turmeric
- [¾ cup sour cream]
- 2 bags fresh spinach, roughly chopped (minimal stalks)
- 1-2 large tomato, core removed and roughly diced
- Approx 6 sprigs fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves, roughly chopped
- 225 g paneer cheese, 1 – 1 ½ cm cubes – alternative ricotta cheese
- Plenty of salt to taste
- In a large saucepan heat 2 Tblsn of oil and saute the garlic, ginger, chilies and onion until brown.
- Mix in the cumin, coriander, turmeric and sour cream
- Add the spinach, handfuls at a time. Gently cooked down the spinach – about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool a bit.
- Blend spinach mixture in food processor with the tomato and coriander leaves. Blend for approx 30 seconds until the spinach is finely chopped.
- Pour back into the saucepan and keep warm over low heat
- In a medium frying pan heat 2 Tblsn of oil over medium heat – fry the cheese cubes until browned; drain and add to spinach. Cook for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Season with salt to taste
- As a side dish with your favorite Indian curries
- serves 4 people as side dish