- 1 or 2 lobsters [or 3-4 crabs]
- 3/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped celery, including leaves
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 1 sprig thyme
- 3-4 sprigs flat-leaf parsley – plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cream sherry
- 1 tbspn freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbspn cup cornstarch
- Cook lobsters immersed in boiling water – simmer for 20 minutes. Do not overcook. Remove lobsters – save all the water
- Clean the meat off the lobster – retain everything else
- 5 cups of lobster water in stockpot – put on low heat. Place shells in stockpot include all roe and tomalley. Add 1/2 cup tomato paste. Simmer on low heat for 1 1/2 hours – stir occasionally. Do not overheat. Sieve (should be approx 8 cups).
- 2 cups of lobster water in stockpot – put on high heat. Add onions, celery, carrots, thyme, parsley and saffron. Boil on high heat for 30 minutes – stir every 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup tomato paste and black pepper. Turn down heat and simmer 30 minutes – stir every 5 minutes. Sieve & add to the lobster stock.
- Put combined stocks on medium heat. Add heavy cream slowly, using whisk to blend. Add sherry – Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes. Mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup water and slowly add to bisque with whisk – Simmer on low heat for another 20 minutes.
- Place lobster meat in bowl and add bisque. Garnish with parsley
- Approx 6 cups
- Use crab or prawn bodies
- A fresh red chilli in with the onions for a little kick