- 2 cups plain gluten free flour (I use Orgran)
- 1 tspn gluten free baking powder
- 1 tspn Xanthan Gum
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbspn ground ginger
- 2 tspn mixed spice
- 250g [125g] butter, melted
- ¼ cup golden syrup
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- pre-heat oven to 150 degrees
- Grease & line a 22cm cake tin.
- Sift the flour, Xanthan gum, baking powder and spices – stir in the sugar.
- Combine melted butter & golden syrup.
- Dissolve baking soda in warmed milk.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir gently (don’t beat) to combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared cake tin and bake for 1 hour 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out moist but clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Store in an air-tight container.
- 22 cm round cake or 25 cm loaf
- Add chopped cristalzed ginger
- Subsitute some or all of the sugar for dark muscovado sugar
- Subsiture some or all of the golden syrup for molasses or treacle