This recipe takes the relatively mild flavor of the humble green lip mussel and combines it with the HUGE flavors of plenty of hot chillies, garlic, ginger & coriander.
- 400-500 g mussel meat (approximate 2 kg of mussels in shells)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped or grated ginger
- 4 – 5 cloves good sized garlic – finely chopped or grated
- 2 – 3 red chillies – finely chopped
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup chopped coriander stalks, leaves and root
- 2 tbsn fish sauce
- 3 tbsn plain flour
- zest of 1 lime or lemon
- Steam the mussels open in small batches (I do a single layer in a wide frying pan with a lid and 5 mm deep water) – remove mussels from the heat as soon as they open to avoid them cooking thru
- Chuck the mussel meat and all other ingredient except the oil in food processor. Process until still lumpy (ie bits of mussel meat slightly bigger than the size of Orzo pasta)
- Fry desert spoon size batter in hot oil – allow first side to cook until firm before turning over.
Serve with a wee bowl of Thai sweet chilli sauce for dipping and lemon wedges
Makes about 20 – 25 fritters