- 400 g dried dates, pitted & chopped
- ¾ cup water
- 500 g cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup (100 g) white sugar
- 2 tsn rich honey
- ¼ tsn cinnamon
- ¼ tsn cloves
- ¼ tsn nutmeg
- ½ cup almond slithers – optional
- 1 tsp sugar & cinnamon mix – optional
- Caramel sauce or date sauce to serve
- Grease 20cm spring form tin and line bottom and sides with baking paper
- Combine dates and water in saucepan – simmer uncovered until semi soft (depending on the dates this should only take about 2 minutes). Strain and cool.
- Pre-heat over 160 degrees
- Beat the cream cheese, eggs, sugar and honey until combined.
- Add spices and continue to beat until combined.
- Pour ½ the mixture into lined tin. Sprinkle ½ the softened dates over the mixture – they will sink into the mixture. Pour the remaining ½ of the mixture into the tin. Sprinkle the remaining ½ of the softened dates over the mixture – gently push down any that don’t sink under the surface.
- Optional – Sprinkle top with almond slithers and sugar cinnamon mixture.
- Bake approx. 1 hour until firm – cool in oven with door ajar
- Lightly warm or room temperature
- Generous wedge slice topped with a big dollop of date sauce or caramel sauce
- Expect to serve 8
- Cook as wee individual ones
Inspired by El Jardin del Califa – Vejer de la Frontera, España – Oct 2012