- 2 tbspn olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tspn dried oregano
- 1 tbspn balsamic vinegar
- 4 – 6 quails, deboned
- ¼ tspn sweet paprika
- 24 slices streaky pancetta
- 50g pinenuts, toasted, chopped
- 1 tbspn olive oil
- 80g gorgonzola dolce, crumbled
- 125g mascarpone
- 300ml thickened cream
- 3 thyme sprigs
- micro greens – to serve
- heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook onions for 5 minutes. Add bay leaf and oregano. Cook until onion is very soft and golden. Stir in vinegar. Season. Cool.
- Rub quails all over with paprika. Season well.
- Lay four slices of pancetta, slightly overlapping, side by side. Place a quail in the centre, skin-side down. Top with one-sixth (approximately 2 tbspn) of the onion mixture. Sprinkle pinenuts on top. Fold quail in half lengthways to enclose filling. Roll pancetta to wrap quail. **
- Preheat oven to 180C and line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add pancetta-wrapped quails and cook for 2 minutes, turning, until browned all over. Transfer to prepared tray and bake for 20 minutes.
- stir all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until smooth and well combined
- Serve quails garnish with micro herbs.
- 4 or 6 quails – I per person
- Quails can be prepared up to end of step 3 a day in advance. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
From My Kitchen Rules 2013 – Jake and Elle