- 200 ml skinny milk, warmed (do not boil)
- 225 g plain flour
- 3 g dry yeast
- 1 tspn sugar
- 175 – 200 ml warm water (approx. 40 degrees – body temperature)
- ½ tspn salt
- ¾ tspn baking powder
- Vege oil for frying – canola or similar no taste oil
- Combine the plain flour, dry yeast & sugar then whisk in the milk.
- Add half the water and beat into a batter – keep adding the water until it is the consistency of thick cream. If you are struggling to get it smooth – force it thru a medium sieve.
- Cover with glad wrap and put in a warm place until foaming
- Gently whisk in the salt and baking powder
- Use a 75 mm dia ring to fry in batches – approx 5 minutes on the bottom then 2 – 3 minutes on the top
- Grill in the toaster (or under the grill) – top with butter while hot
- 10 to 15 x 75 mm dia crumpets