- 225g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 5 ½ cups (650g) icing sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons whole milk
- Flavour Options
- ½ vanilla bean, seeds scraped out and/or 1 tspn vanilla essence
- 1 tspn lemon juice and Lemon zest
- 2 Tbspn blackcurrant cordial or berry juice
- 2 tspn sifted good quality cocoa.
- Beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Add icing sugar, ½ cup at a time, beating between additions.
- Beat in milk, adding a little extra if necessary until a pipeable consistency is achieved.
- Beat in any flavourings or colourings of your choice.
Caramel Frosting or Filling
- 30g unsalted butter
- 3 Tbspn whole milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup icing sugar
- ½ tspn vanilla essence
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter – mix in milk and brown sugar. Boil vigorously for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat – beat in 1/2 the icing sugar. Cool slightly, and beat in the vanilla and remaining sugar. Add more milk if the mixture is too thick.
- Note – will set quite quickly (5 – 10 minutes)
Creamy Filling For Layer Cake – Gluten Free
- O5 tblsn plain gluten free flour (I use Orgrans)
- 1 cup blue milk
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tspn salt
- 100g shortening, softened (I use Kremelta)
- 100g butter, softened
- 1 tspn vanilla extract
- 1 lemon – rind & juice
- Make a roux with the flour & milk – stir until thick. Set aside to cool but not cold
- In a bowl combine the sugar, salt, shortening, butter, vanilla extract and lemon rind & juice – beat with electric mixer until fluffy
- Add the cooled roux and continue to beat until combined and fluffy
- about 2 cups
- try other flavors – chocolate, rasberry