- 1 tbspn peanut oil
- 500 – 600 g boneless skinless chicken breast or thigh, cut in bite sized chunks
- 20 g butter or vege oil
- 2 tspn garam masala
- 2 tspn sweet paprika
- 2 tspn ground coriander
- ½ tspn chili powder (more or less to taste)
- ½ tspn cinnamon powder
- ¼ tspn cardamom powder
- 4 tspn fresh ginger, grated of chopped very fine
- 120 g tomato paste
- 300 ml chicken stock (or water)
- 4 tspn sugar
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- upto ½ cup cream – optional
- 3 – 4 tspn lemon juice – to taste
- Heat oil in wok style high side fry pan. Stir-fry the chicken in batched for about 4 minutes until chicken is a nice colour. Set chicken and frying juices aside.
- Reduce heat and add butter or vege oil. Add all of the spices and stir-fry until fragrant – about 1 minute. Add the chicken frying juices to ensure kept liquid.
- Return the chicken to pan and stir to coat well with the spicy liquid.
- Add the tomato paste, chicken stock (or water) and sugar and simmer for 15 minutes – stir occasionally.
- Note : Can be set aside or frozen at this point (See Note below)
- Add the yogurt, cream (optional) and lemon juice and simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens a bit
- Serve over rice
- Serves 5. Half everything for 2 – 3
Note : This dish can be set aside or frozen – leave the last step. To reheat, thaw then add contents to saucepan. Reheat gently, then simmer for 8 minutes – add the yoghurt, cream and lemon juice and simmer for 5 more minutes